Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Jarin's First Stitches

WARNING: Do not read this or look at the pictures if you get sick with the sight of blood or injury!

Okay, so here's the story: Brady and Jarin have this little game where Jarin chases Brady around and Brady runs and hides in rooms and shuts the door before Jarin can get there. Jarin laughs and thinks it is so funny. Well we've been telling Brady that he can't slam doors because he's smashed Jarin's fingers before. Brady didn't listen.

So on Wednesday of last week, I wasn't closely supervising the boys and they were doing this "game". Before I realized what was happening, I hear Jarin screaming. It turns out, Brady had slammed our bedroom door (hinge side) on Jarin's right pinky finger. To make a long story short, the finger was gashed very deeply. I was able to stop the bleeding but I was pretty much freaking out. Both boys were screaming because Brady saw what he had done. I called Matt and had him come home to help me get Jarin to the hospital. An hour later, we got out the door. My mom stayed with Brady and we took Jarin to the emergency room at the children's hospital here. We waited for an hour until he got stitched up but it really wasn't too bad. Jarin had calmed down by the time we left our house and I had bandaged it pretty well. He didn't seem to be in pain so that was good. The surgeon was great and Jarin cried a lot but was over it by the next day. There was no broken bone or severed tendons like I thought there would be. We are so thankful for that! He got 5 stitches in his little tiny pinky finger.

By Thursday morning he was back to normal, playing and running around with a big huge bandage covering his whole hand. I guess this is going to be the first of many in our household! I just pray for strength to handle it all! The pictures aren't the best but it is hard to hold him still!


1 comment:

Ang said...

oh no! those are some serious stitches, poor guy!